Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Straw Sorting - Gone Wild

My sister in law and I found a book of great ideas of activities for preschoolers and we made up some project bags for our kids. I have yet to TOTALLY LOVE them, so maybe I'll post a review after we get through some more of them. Really, Jaden is too young for many of them still. I few more critical thinking skills and some letter knowledge and he'll be on a roll with them I'm sure.

Anyway....

In one of the bags we placed 100 straws and 50 paper clips - supposedly to build towers with. I'm not a preschooler - and I can't figure out how to do that yet. BUT, Jaden LOVES playing with the straws!

I decided to turn it into a sorting activity by color (see how I put one of each colored straw in each cup?)
Of course, that wasn't as fun. And, even moving them in and out of the cups wasn't NEARLY as fun as....
...throwing them all over the floor and pretending they are "logs" his "machines" have to build things with!

Hey, quite a mess - but for just being straws, they can keep him entertained for upwards of 30 minutes at times!

Not too bad if I say so myself!

1 comment: