Saturday, February 9, 2008

Running on Empty...

I wanted to give you all an update and include a few pictures. Unfortunately, I'll have to include the WHOLE story later. We just need sleep right now.

The bare bones story:

Jaden Timothy Heimer
Born Monday, February 4th, 2008 @ 7:40pm
Weight: 6 lb 13.9 oz
Length: 20.5 inches

After a relatively fast (I think) labor that Stephen helped me work through pain-relief free I was ready to push. The doctor showed up and gave me the go ahead. Immediately upon starting to push the baby's heart rate dropped from 140 to 60 (BAD). After one more contraction and pushing and trying various things to get a better heart rate reading the Dr. quickly explained the need for an Emergency C-section. Chaos broke out as the delivery room was torn apart and the wheeled me to the operating room next door. A little later (I have no idea how long for obvious reasons) our little boy was born. They say that while his heart never stopped beating, its slow down had caused him to not start breathing right away. Also, there was meconium (baby poop) in the amniotic fluid that they were concerned he could have in his stomach and lungs. They resuscitated him and whisked him off to the NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit) and Stephen followed.

When I came out of the surgery Stephen was there. I woke up easily from the anethesia and was asking about what was going on trying to figure things out. Stephen told me that he had seen the baby and that he wanted to name him Jaden Timothy (a name we had liked but hadn't settled on. Stephen said that he looked like a Jaden).

They took us to see Jaden in the NICU where he had a respirator, iv, and various other tubes. We weren't allowed to touch him at first because they were trying to get some tests and were afraid he was going to be upset. However, really NEEDING to touch our baby, we were persistant and before we had to leave they let us touch his arm and foot (I could only reach his foot from my bed and couldn't see his face but Stephen took a picture for me to look at later.)

The rest of the days are a bit of a blur that I'll try to detail later for those of you that are interested. However, the gist of things is..

THANK YOU for all of you who have been praying for us. Stephen was able to call his parents and my parents quickly when I was heading in for surgery and I know they both got the prayer chains going. God is amazing and has really been keeping His hand of protection, healing, and peace over us throughout all of this. We know that He works in all things for the good of those who love Him. We are seeing His work in us through this process and although it isn't easy, we are so thankful for His love.

1) I am doing fine and not even feeling all that sore. (pain meds help of course).
2) Jaden is doing MUCH better and improved VERY quickly
3) I was discharged from the hospital on Thursday the 7th.
4) Jaden will (provided everything from here on out goes smoothly - we hit another snag today) be coming home with us on Monday the 11th (please pray that this happens - we are REALLY ready to have him home with us.
5) we have been at the hospital almost non-stop since he was born. Stephen spent many many hours with him in the NICU before I could get around much. Since I have been home we haven't been home. We go to be with him at 8:30am-4pm and again from 8:30pm-4am. There are a few times we have left in-between feedings to get some food and the last 2 days we have left at 2:30am instead of staying until 4. We've been averaging about 2.5 hours of sleep. Last night we left early and actually got almost 5.

We're running on empty but LOVING our little guy. He's doing so much better and almost ready to come home.

Now, for what everyone REALLY wants....the photos.!!!!


All bundled up and ready for bed!

Daddy's little guy!

Mommy and her little guy - FINALLY tube free - not even an IV!


Jaden taking the car seat challenge - before leaving the NICU they put babies in their car seats for 3 hours and monitor their vital signs to make sure they don't have problems sitting up and will be fine for their car ride home.

dinner time! - We get to feed him all but twice a day and he's really doing well. Today we thought it would be cute to have him wear a little bib!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!
    Thank you Krysia for posting! It's so good to hear that things are getting better!
    I have been worried and reliving our delivery experience (induced on Tues., C-section on Thurs.) and praying for you as each day passed. God has really been watching over you and Jaden! I'll keep praying that he can go home soon and in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! He's beautiful. We will keep you in our prayers until he can come home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen, Krysia,
    He is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I was there...I just want to look at him and hold him or even just tickle his little foot. Y'all (all three of you) are in my prayers every day. I am so excited for you two...parents!
    By the way Stephen, the picture of you holding Jaden made me want to start crying. Krysia, you are the most amazing woman ever...and now Jaden's here in the world to prove it. I love you three!

    PS. Who's gonna be godmother? ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations---
    You are all 3 on our minds. I am glad to hear everything is going well and understand how tired you must be. He is beautiful. Just a hint, try to get some sleep before he comes home :) It will get easier.
    Josh, Kristle, Morrisie, Ashton, Verek, and baby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Krysia and Stephen,

    All three are now in my prayers. Jaden is beautiful!

    By the way Jayden looks loke Grandpa Heimer in the picture with His new Bib.

    May the Lord strengthen Jaden and have him home soon. May Our Savior keep all three of you in His tender and loving care.

    Get some rest. God Bless

    From Angelina Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the world Cousin Jaden!! Your birth story will be one that your parents will never forget!! We pray that everyday you grow stronger and stronger. We love you so much little JT!! LOTS Love from your cousins in Vermont. Shannon, Christina, Calvin and Betty

    ReplyDelete